Norbert Nemec <norb...@nemec-online.de> wrote:

On 20/08/10 03:22, dsimcha wrote:
3. Is there any good reason to avoid just templating everything to work with all 9 string types (mutable/const/immutable char/wchar/dchar[]) or whatever
subset is reasonable for the given function?

Wouldn't it be sufficient to take const as input? IIRC, both mutable and immutable can be implicitly converted to const and this exactly the purpose that const is designed for: data that I can't change but that other code may be able to change. Or am I mixing something up here?

What should the functions return, then? If the output is always
const(char)[], I need to cast it to make it immutable(char)[] or char[],
and casting is an unsafe operation.

--
Simen