Walter Bright Wrote:

> Shields up! what am I missing about this?

For server work, it's important that the amount of logging be dynamically
configurable and that log lines which aren't printed consume as little overhead
as possible.  For some of the more advanced stuff in glog, there are times when
I want to turn the log level way up to try and diagnose something occurring in
production, but the amount of output this generates is such that if I can have
some of the irrelevant stuff left out then so much the better.  Trend analysis
doesn't need to log every occurrence, thus the counter stuff, etc.

One thing I did years ago for C++ was to create an ostream wrapper for the
Windows Event Log.  I still used std::log and std::err in my app, but a few
lines of code redirecting output in main() and I could make log lines appear in
the event log as messages instead.  It would have been difficult to do this
with printf, but a logging mechanism is generally not too difficult to
configure this way.