Dnia 27-08-2010 o 22:03:46 Stanislav Blinov <stanislav.bli...@gmail.com> napisał(a):

I can tell that this wasn't true even 15 years from here. Books, interviews, movies, games - all had solid and nice translations, pleasant to read an hear. But something has changed. And not for the best. But during the time when 'localization' was not all that bad funny things did happen too. Here in Russia there's an accountant software package developed by 1C for some 10-15 years now. It has builtin language that has natural 'English' form, but is available also completely localized. All constructs, functions, keywords, everything is translated into Russian. I can say that average-skilled programmer or coder could easily catch up that language if he saw it in normal English. But catching up this 'localized' flavor is a big PITA.

Reminds me of my previous job where I did plenty of Excel. Now, for some functions Polish names were natural:
SUM -> SUMA
AVERAGE -> ŚREDNIA
LEN -> DŁ
SLOPE -> NACHYLENIE

But common workhorse functions were notoriously given names so descriptive that made the writer's wrists ache and the reader's eyes tear:
STDEV -> ODCH.STANDARDOWE
VLOOKUP -> WYSZUKAJ.PIONOWO
MID -> FRAGMENT.TEKSTU
TRIM -> USUŃ.ZBĘDNE.ODSTĘPY
MMULT -> MACIERZ.ILOCZYN
NORMSINV -> ROZKŁAD.NORMALNY.S.ODW

Oh, and if the problem called for a turbo spreadsheet, I had to re-learn the function names all over because in VBA they're English. :-/

Tomek