Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Saturday 18 September 2010 11:43:36 Walter Bright wrote:
Basic is famous in that its charter specifically was for
non-programmers. Cobol was designed for managers to be able to
understand the code, not to write it (a slightly different aim).
Both Basic and Cobol are dead outside some legacy projects.
True, but irrelevant to my point. I see that nobody understood my point at
all.

I do! You're talking about the purposes behind the design of a language, and what it was designed for. What that language has later been used for is an entirely separate issue.

Thanks, I'm glad I wasn't being totally incomprehensible!