"torhu" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:i93h03$24f...@digitalmars.com...
> On 13.10.2010 06:20, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Michael Stover"<michael.r.sto...@gmail.com>  wrote in message
>>>  Elephant appears dead.  Poseidon's activity is extremely low and is
>>> still
>>>  alpha after 5 years. LEDS is even less active, and DDT doesn't have a
>>>  release yet.  What do actual D programmers use?
>>>

>> Programmer's Notepad 2 ( http://www.pnotepad.org/ )
>>
>> I've tried a TON of different editors and IDE's and that's the only one
>> that
>> doesn't irritate me. Small, fast, free, looks good, behaves well,
>> configurable, D syntax highlighting out-of-the-box.
>>

> I use that, too.  When I need to debug, I use cv2pdb to create a .pdb
> file, and then just do "vcexpress myapp.exe".

I've spent so much time on games, web and embedded that I've gotten used to
printf-debugging, and when I do use a debugger I often find it to slow me
down. Nothing against debuggers, they can be nice, but printf-debugging has
the advantages of lower startup time, lower barrier-to-entry, and best of
all, being much better at stepping backwards in time (all you have to do is
look/scroll upwards).

> If get some time to work on my D projects again, I might look into
> VisualD.  But it seems that D is cursed when it comes to IDEs.  Nothing
> I've tried so far has been worth the trouble.

If it's support for contextual symbols (like code completion, etc) you're
looking for, the d2tags tool someone made awhile ago makes it possible for
PN2 to gain such support for D. It hasn't happened yet, but it looks like
it's coming (they've set it to "High" priority and set a milestone for it):

http://code.google.com/p/pnotepad/issues/detail?id=903