Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
Walter Bright wrote:
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Seems a bad idea to force the overhead of that, but it should
definitely be available as an option. Contrary to what Walter and
Andrei seem to think, 32-bit systems are still very much alive and
will be for quite awhile longer. Especially when you remember that
there are more computers out there than just desktops and servers.
(Ex: When is a phone ever going to need 64-bit? Eventually maybe, but
certainly not anytime soon.)
16 bit processors died around 15 years after the introduction of 32 bit
ones, even for embedded systems. If history repeats itself, figure 32
bit ones have about 5 years to go!

        Funny thing is we still use some 8-bit microcontrollers in some
situations :) But you're right, as soon as we need something more we
go directly to 32 bits without stopping in the 16 bits square.

I can tell 16 bits is dead as a doornail because the 16 bit tools biz has dried up to nothing.