Unfortunately, a lot of the programmers I know
tend to react negatively to templates (probably primarily due to how nasty they
can be in C++), so sadly, it can be hard to sell powerful templates as  a _good_
feature to some folks.

I think it has very little to do with the syntax (although it certainly plays a part).

The real problem with templates (in my opinion) is that they require a higher level abstract view of programs that most programmers simply lack. I think this is the same reason why functional programming escapes the masses, and why C is still so popular.