Max Samukha wrote:
On 10/19/2010 09:06 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
Time will tell how long it will take people to become idiomatically
proficient in D. But also consider that Andrei's book "Modern C++
Design" completely changed the idiomatic way people wrote C++ programs.
A 1990's state of the art C++ program is very different from a 2010 one.

We've only just begun figuring out the right way to write D programs.

That is funny. Now and then you and Andrei talk so confidently about Go, C#, Haskell and other D competitors, without having written more than a couple of lines in those languages. At the same time, you are claiming that it takes years to even start to learn a programming language.

I think I claimed that it takes years to master a language, not start to learn. I am not a master of Go, C#, or Haskell.

Sure, it is not problems with D that make it difficult to use. We simply don't know how to program in D yet, after several years of doing just that.

Usage of just about every language has evolved away from what the designers originally thought it would be.

With all due respect for Andrei, I doubt that it is his book that completely changed the way people wrote C++ programs. It was influential, right, but it was really not a single factor. And some of ideas presented in that book are avoided by reasonable programmers.

I'm not the only one that thinks so: http://www.artima.com/cppsource/top_cpp_books.html

Please stop so shamelessly advertising each other. Thanks!

It wasn't an intent to advertise, I was trying to illustrate how the usage pattern of a language changes over time. Does anyone think Bjarne Stroustrup imagined this stuff back in 1985? or even 1995? Even how people use C has changed a lot, despite the language itself hardly changing.