On 20-ott-10, at 13:59, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:33:49 +0200, Fawzi Mohamed wrote:

On 20-ott-10, at 13:18, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:

[...]
However, I, like most people, am a lot more used to thinking in terms
of
digits than bits.  If I need my results to be correct to within 10
significant digits, say, how (if possible) would I use feqrel() to
ensure
that?
feqrel(a,b)>33 // 10*log(10)/log(2)

...which would be the solution of

 2^bits = 10^digits,

I guess. Man, I've got to sit down and learn some more about FP numbers
one day.

yes floating point use base 2 numbers: matissa + exponent both base 2.
feqrel gives you how many bits (i.e. base 2 digits) are equal in the two numbers.
2^33=8589934592 which has 10 digits.
2^34 has already 11 digits, so having more than 33 binary digits in common
means having more than 10 base 10 digits in common.

Thanks!

you are welcome

Fawzi

-Lars