Paulo Pinto:

> I would say that whoever implemented the algorithms
> in C is not as good as
> the one who did them in Pascal. Or did not use the proper compiler flags.

I don't know the answer, but I think both those hypothesis are not
substantiated by facts, because in the Shootout site the C compiler flags are
chosen carefully (they are chosen for speed), while the C programs are probably
written a bit better than the Free Pascal ones (Free Pascal uses ObjectPascal,
it's a language quite far from the original Pascals). Maybe the Free Pascal
compiler is just better than GCC regarding static/stack memory usage.

Bye,
bearophile