bearophile wrote:
Walter:

Any type having an unexpected value in it is a very common bug. They often
go unnoticed, though, because they don't generate a seg fault. The bug is
still there, though.

So no, I don't agree it is a special case.

Then to D3, beside nonnull types, we may also add ranged integers (as integer
subtypes or subtypes of other ranges). With both those things you have
probably covered a good percentage of what you call "unxpected value" bugs.

Adding ranged integer types increases the coverage from 1% to 2% of the cases. (Pulling random numbers out of the ether, but still, I think the point is valid.)