Daniel Gibson schrieb:
Walter Bright schrieb:
Daniel Gibson wrote:
BTW: What were the reasons to pass static arrays by value in D2 (while in D1 they're passed by reference)?

It makes things like vectors (i.e. float[3]) natural to manipulate. It also segues nicely into hopeful future support for the CPU's vector instructions.

Why can't that be done when the static arrays are passed by reference?

Ah I guess you mean something like "alias float[3] vec3", so one may expect vec3 to behave like a value type (like when you define it in a struct) so it's passed by value. That does make sense, even though I'm not sure what's more important: consistency between different kinds of arrays or expectations towards typed defined from static arrays. ;-)

I still don't get the part with the CPU's vector instructions though. I don't have any assembly knowledge an no experience with directly using CPU's vector instructions, but the example of a C function wrapping SSE instructions from the wikipedia article[1], which multiplies two arrays of floats, loads the arrays by reference and even stores the result in one of them.

Hrm forgot the link:
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_processor