On 19-nov-10, at 11:13, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:22:29 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

On 2010-11-18 23:21, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

I just created a new D Improvement Proposal to fix the toString problem
I brought up several posts ago.

See: http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP9

-Steve

Why do we have to remove toString, can't toString call writeTo and
behave as it does now?

Nobody's forcing anyone to remove toString(), the point is that Phobos
just won't be using it anymore. Furthermore, std.conv.to!string() should be defined to call writeTo(), so you won't have to define both toString()
and writeTo() for your types.

-Lars

I think that it is a good, a breaking change, but good.

having something like what I did with writeOut would minimize the hassles, because then you have a uniform way to print out a type:
        writeOut(sink,type,possiblyExtraArgs)
that works for everything, basic types, old style objects with toString,... it is useful for generic code.