In my experience, I have not yet defined a type that uses a multitude of operators with the same code. In fact, I have only defined the "~=" and "~" operators for the most part.

So I'd say, while my example is not proof that this is a disaster, I think it shows the change in operator overloading cannot yet be declared a success. One good example does not prove anything just like one bad example does not prove anything.

Operator overloading shines on numeric code, which i guess the targeted audience for this feature. In this case, you mostly change a single character and that is the operator.

I haven't had that experience. This is just me talking. Maybe others believe it is good.

This new scheme is just pure win, again for numeric coding.

Using operator overloading in conjunction with class inheritance is rare.

So rare that if you see operator overloading and virtual inheritance, you'd better be sure there is not something fishy going on.