On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:41:37 +0200, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
How much of D can you really use without Phobos? I imagine there'd be no problem in using it as a better C, but there isn't much appeal to that,

I don't agree there's not much appeal to that. D has quite a bit that makes C-style code much easier and more robust, such as the module system. C doesn't even have thread local storage!

You took my line out of context :) Of course D is better than C and can be used as a better C, but I was making the comparison to C++/STL/Boost. Well, it depends on which features you're after - if you're Linus Torvalds and hate abstractions, D minus Phobos would indeed be a better deal than C++/STL/Boost :)

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:vladi...@thecybershadow.net