> While writing and dealing with all that code I realized something: While
> programmers are usually heavily conditioned to think of case-sensitivity as
> an attribute of the comparison, it's very frequent that the deciding factor
> in which comparison to use is *not* the comparison itself but *what* gets
> compared. And in those cases, you have to use the awful strategy of "relying
> on convention" to make sure you get it right in *every* place that
> particular data gets compared.

You have a point. Your case-sensitivity-aware string types will guarantee
correctness in a large and complex program. I like that. Ideally though, they
would only be compile-time constraints (i.e. not carrying any other data).

Perhaps it's possible to create such types?
CaseSensitiveString,
CaseInsensitiveString,
and the standard string type being unspecified.