On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:39:11 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

On 1/11/11 6:29 AM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
Hi Andrei,

It looks nice. Just a small comment: in many of your comments you use words that not all of us might now. For instance: "sans". I happen to know it because I studied French, but otherwise I wouldn't know that. I just showed that phrase to a colleague here in Argentina and he didn't understand it. He thought it maybe meant
"since". Maybe "sans" and "in lieu" are memes there in the USA, but not
everywhere. So please, stick with English. :-)

Okay. I think "sans" is Walter's...

sans is in the english dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sans

According to that reference, Shakespeare used it :) Don't think you can get more English than that...

BTW, it would be impossible to phrase everything so everyone who has their specific dialect of English would understand it, I don't think there's much sense in worrying about it.

That being said, using 'without' instead of 'sans' is probably fine.

-Steve