On 01/13/2011 04:43 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
On 1/12/11, Jean Crystof <n...@news.com> wrote:
Claiming that low end components have shorter lifespan is ridiculous.

You've never had computer equipment fail on you?

I've had a lot of computer equipment.

Failures I've had, ranked in order of most failures to least:

keyboards
power supplies
hard drives
fans
monitors

I've never had a CPU, memory, or mobo failure. Which is really kind of
amazing.

I did have a 3DFX board once, which failed after a couple years. Never
bought another graphics card.

The keyboards fail so often I keep a couple spares around.

I buy cheap, bottom of the line equipment. I don't overclock them and I
make sure there's plenty of airflow around the boxes.

Same for me. Cheap hardware as well; and as standard as possible.
I've never had any pure electronic failure (graphic card including)! I would just put fan & power supply before keyboard, and add mouse to the list just below keyboard. My keyboards do not break as often as yours: you must be a brutal guy ;-) An exception is for wireless keyboards and mice, which I quickly abandoned.

Denis
vita es estrany
spir.wikidot.com