"Andrei Alexandrescu" <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote in message
news:igoqrm$1n5r$1...@digitalmars.com...
> On 1/13/11 10:26 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> [snip]
>> [ 'f', {u with the umlaut}, 'n', 'f' ]
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> [ 'f', 'u', {umlaut combining character}, 'n', 'f' ]
>>
>> Those *both* get rendered exactly the same, and both represent the same
>> four-letter sequence. In the second example, the 'u' and the {umlaut
>> combining character} combine to form one grapheme. The f's and n's just
>> happen to be single-code-point graphemes.
>>
>> Note that while some characters exist in pre-combined form (such as the
>> {u
>> with the umlaut} above), legend has it there are others than can only be
>> represented using a combining character.
>>
>> It's also my understanding, though I'm not certain, that sometimes
>> multiple
>> combining characters can be used together on the same "root" character.
>
> Thanks. One further question is: in the above example with u-with-umlaut,
> there is one code point that corresponds to the entire combination. Are
> there combinations that do not have a unique code point?

My understanding is "yes". At least that's what I've heard, and I've never
heard any claims of "no". I don't know of any specific ones offhand, though.
Actually, it might be possible to use any combining character with any old
letter or number (like maybe a 7 with an umlaut), though I'm not certain.

FWIW, the Wikipedia article might help, or at least link to other things
that might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combining_character

Michel or spir might have better links though.