Am 18.01.2011 06:14, schrieb Gary Whatmore:
new2d Wrote:

Trass3r Wrote:

new2d's recent post made me think about this.
Couldn't we try to get D development sponsored by Google SoC or something
similar?

You should seriously consider if D is the next big language. It's hard to
believe D works without major funding. All the other high performance languages
and projects are getting multimillion dollar grants. There's also half a dozen
books about D, but when I tried to find papers about D from Citeseer, I came
back empty handed. Was the conference in the past associated with ACM?

Probably answering to a troll, but you see D is a pragmatic language. We don't
write academic nonsense. All the papers are there on the web. See the Dr Dobbs
page and the links in the left bar on digitalmars.com site. See the Bartosz's
blog. Agile software development produces very small amounts of document
deliverables. What you see is rapid prototyping in action. A single man made an
earth shattering new language for serious computing tasks. If we spent all day
writing papers, there simply would be no D.

Later when other co-operative members found the language, a git repository was
made for distributed teamwork. There is also a D wiki project. These all
provides an equal position to all community members. We could write as much
documentation as we want together, but we've chosen developing code instead.

I don't know about the conference. Took place before I found D. They probably
had connections to Amazon. You might find some old (outdated) slides from the
web.

AFAIK Andrei used D in his Doctoral Thesis, there was also that guy who wrote an advanced Garbage Collector for D as his masters thesis.. so D *is* used in academics as well.

Cheers,
- Daniel