On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 15:37 +0000, Iain Buclaw wrote:
[ . . . ]
> What do we have to do with this? I don't think we have much to gain from
> moving
> to git. It's not likely to have much effect on the level of interest people
> have
> towards contributing anyway.

If you are currently using Subversion then there is masses to be gained
by moving to Git in line with the rest of the D development effort.

I guess GCC itself is still Subversion?

Bazaar is a GNU project, and this tipped the balance such that Emacs was
pushed to shift from Subversion to Bazaar.   The change caused a lot of
heated aggravation between the Bazaar, Mercurial and Git advocates.
Normal then ;-)

I don't know which direction the GCC crew would go, but I guess GDC
needs to ensure it is compatible -- though Git, Mercurial and Bazaar can
always work with a Subversion repository, Bazaar in a much smoother DVCS
way that the other two.

> I could ask around, they'd probably tell me to fork off though. 8-)

Or they might say "about forking time" ;-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net