On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 15:34:05 %u wrote:
Are there plans for including a double linked list in phobos? Maybe
one backed by an array like .NET's List<T>  or Java's ArrayList.

If so, when?

Array is the equivalent of Java's ArrayList. It's Java's LinkedList which is a
doubly-linked list. You don't normally use arrays to implement linked lists. We
do have a _singly_-linked list - SList - but not doubly-linked list at the
moment. I'd be stunned if Andrei doesn't intend to add one at some point though.
However, std.container was slow in coming, and it's been slow in growing.

- Jonathan M Davis

One big issue with std.container is that the absence of unified function call syntax forces the implementation to add a lot of aliases. I'm sort of stalling in hope that language improvements will prompt terser container implementations.

I'm also undecided on what to do about sealing, and again language improvements (preventing escapes of references) could lead to improved designs.

That being said, a doubly-linked list is an obvious candidate as the next significant container to put in std.container.