On 28/01/2011 13:13, Daniel Gibson wrote:
Am 28.01.2011 14:07, schrieb Bruno Medeiros:
On 07/01/2011 00:34, David Nadlinger wrote:
Mercurial on dsource.org …

Personally, I'd really like to persuade Walter, you, and whoever else
actually decides this to consider hosting the main repository at an
external place like GitHub or Mercurial, because DSource has been having
some real troubles with stability, although it got slightly better again
recently. The problem is somewhat alleviated when using a DVCS, but
having availabilities the main source repositories is not quite the best
form of advertisement for a language.

Additionally, the UI of GitHub supports the scenario where only a few
people (or Walter alone) actually have commit/push access to the main
repository really well through cheap forks which stay logically
connected to he main repository and merge requests. The ability to make
comments on specific (lines in) commits, also in combination with pull
requests, is awesome as well.

I have to agree and reiterate this point. The issue of whether it is worthwhile
for D to move to a DVCS (and which one of the two) is definitely a good thing to
consider, but the issue of DSource vs. other code hosting sites is also quite a
relevant one. (And not just for DMD but for any project.)

I definitely thank Brad for his support and work on DSource, however I question
if it is the best way to go for medium or large-sized D projects. Other hosting
sites will simply offer better/more features and/or support, stability, less
bugs, spam-protection, etc..
What we have here is exactly the same issue of NIH syndrome vs DRY, but applied
to hosting and development infrastructure instead of the code itself. But I
think the principle applies just the same.

D has already moved to github, see D.announce :)

I know, I know. (I am up-to-date on D.announce, just not on "D" and "D.bugs") I still wanted to make that point though. First, for retrospection, but also because it may still apply to a few other DSource projects (current or future ones).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer