The safety net we are talking about is present only at the right bound of a
slicing syntax (it's not performed in normal array indexing), and it
consists in a single min(x, $) operation, that's one branch. So it slows
down code, but only a bit. And in many of such situations you probably
need to add a min(x, $) manually in the code anyway, so the overhead is
limited.

Personally, I have _never_ needed to add a min call like that. So, while _you_
may think that it's a common thing to do (and it may be that it is in your
code), that doesn't mean that that's generally true.

- Jonathan M Davis

I agree. I've never needed to add a bounds check like that.