Ulrik Mikaelsson wrote:
2011/1/30 Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com>:
People who use screen readers often crank up the playback rate to 2x. The
software adjusts the pitch so it doesn't sound like the Chipmunks.

I've often wondered why DVRs don't do this (I've sent the suggestion to
Tivo, they ignored me). I'd like the option to play the news (or other talk
shows) at a faster rate, with pitch adjustment. I've found I can watch Tivo
at 3x with the closed captioning on, and can almost keep up. The problem
with DVRs at any fast forward speed is they turn the sound off! Grrrr.

A golden opportunity missed.

I'd also love it if youtube etc. did this. It's so boring looking at youtube
presentations because they talk so slow. I'd love a double speed youtube
viewing option.

Remember I posted this in case some troll tries to patent it.
I KNEW I wasn't alone at this. My S.O. usually just rolls her eyes
when I do this. (Tip: VLC does it for at least double-speed)

I think the reason I.E. YouTube and Tivo don't do it is that AFAIU, it
is fairly CPU-consuming (FFT back and forth?) In the TiVo-case, my
guess is nobody paid for the hardware, and in the YouTube-case I doubt
neither Flash nor JavaScript will enable the performance required.
Perhaps it can be done browser-dependently with HTML5.

I think the problem is it either never occurred to Tivo or Youtube, or they don't care about it. When I shut off my Tivo service, I told them that such a feature would entice me to keep it. But I seriously doubt they transmitted my idea to the right people.

Now, what we need is the audio-equivalent of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcIJXTlugc

That is an impressive algorithm!