On 2011-02-03 15:50:17 -0500, spir <denis.s...@gmail.com> said:

How can you propose this, Michel? Complexify the language, and any implementation, just for a non-feature that makes code very hard to decode, by requiring a double mental rewriting operation:
     foo(i) --> this.foo(i) --> foo(this,i)
what advantage does this feature provide? None. What additional drawback: see thread above.

I'm not really advocating for it. I'm just trying to figure out how it could be done, what impact it'd have, and what limitations should be put on it. This uniform call syntax has been talked a lot but never explored much. I think it's time we look at it so we understand the problems and the solutions and finally decide if its worth it or not.

What advantages should it provide? Mainly it makes member functions and standalone functions identical in usage, so whether something is a member or not becomes a implementation detail the user does not have to care about. Obviously, if we find out that it can't be done without complicating things, the feature should be abandoned.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com