On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 07:48:53 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer <schvei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The meaning of an 'object being its own monitor' is just that the monitor for operations on an object is conceptually the object itself (even though it's technically a hidden member of the object).

This model has some very bad drawbacks, because it encourages you to use an object to lock an operation on itself when most cases, you want more coarse mutexes (mutexes should be tied to entire concepts, not just to individual objects).

With D, you can alleviate this somewhat by specifying a specific monitor for an object.

I may be wrong on this one, it looks like from the docs a mutex can only be assigned to exactly one object. But I've asked Sean to clarify.

-Steve