On 2011-02-07 13:25:53 -0500, spir <denis.s...@gmail.com> said:

On 2011-02-07 08:24:32 -0500, spir <denis.s...@gmail.com> said:

Does this have anything to do with currently discussed buffered input ranges?
If yes, how does such a design, or any alternative, fit their proposed
interface?

You can build all of this on top of a buffered input range. The buffered input
range is not an alternative for your complex parsing algorithm, it's just the
component managing the buffer.

Having the underlying range manage the buffer (as opposed to having your parser
algorithm doing it) means that the buffer implementation can vary depending on
the type of range. For instance, if you're parsing directly data in memory, the
buffered range can use directly this data in memory as the buffer, requiring no
allocation and no copy; if you're parsing from a file or a network stream it'll
use a more standard buffer.

But how exactly the buffer is implemented does not affect your parsing
algorithm in any way. That's the great thing about it, separation of concerns:
your algorithm will work independently of the buffer implementation used. All
your parser algorithm has to do is say "shiftFront" and "appendToFront" to
control what's available in the buffer.

Right, that's nice. But I was certainly unclear. My question was in fact how to make the lexeme stream be a buffered range. So that, precisely, the parser does not have to cope about buffering (or rather has to cope about it the std way clients will use to cope with buffered ranges once they are standardised). In my hypothetical design, store() and unstore() are commands used to manage buffering, thus similar in purpose, but different from what Andrei's proposal provifdes. They just match the way I see a parser's needs, naively. Now, how to translate this design to make the lexeme stream a buffered range is very unclear for me; needed operations do not directly translate to appendToFront / shiftFront (unless I do not understand their action). I'm not even sure whether it would be simply correct to use a buffered range.

You'd probably need a wrapper around the buffered range to handle backtracking nicely. Something like this:

        struct Backtracker(R) {
                R bufRange;
                size_t backtrackLength;

                ElementType!R front() @property {
                        bufRange.front[0..$-backtrackLength];
                }

                void shiftFront(n) {
                        bufRange.shiftFront(size_t n);
                }

                void backtrackFront(size_t n) {
                        backtrackLength += n;
                }

                void appendToFront(size_t n) {
                        if (backtrackLength <= n) {
                                backtrackLength -= n;
                        } else {
                                bufRange.appendToFront(n-backtrackLength);
                                backtrackLength = 0;

                void popFront() {
assert(backtrackLength == 0, "mixin backtracking with by-chunk iteration not implemented");
                        buffRange.popFront();

Perhaps this "backtrackFront()" function could be an optional part of the standard buffered range interface. If an algorithm requires a backtracking buffered input range and the input range you're provided with does not support backtracking, then you can use a wrapper like the one I drafted above to make the input acceptable to the algorithm.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com