On 02/10/2011 07:30 AM, Olivier Pisano wrote:
Le 09/02/2011 21:08, Ary Manzana a écrit :
On 2/9/11 3:54 PM, bearophile wrote:
- There is no need to learn to use a function with a weird syntax like
iota, coming from APL. This makes Phobos and learning D a bit simpler.

I would recommend stop using "weird" names for functions. Sorry if this
sounds a little harsh but the only reason I see this function is called
"iota" is to demonstrate knowledge (or to sound cool). But programmers
using a language don't care about whether the other programmer
demonstrates knowledge behind a function name, they just want to get
things done, fast.

I mean, if I want to create a range of numbers I would search "range".
"iota" will never, ever come to my mind. D has to be more open to
public, not only to people who programmed in APL, Go or are mathematics
freaks. Guess how a range is called in Ruby? That's right, Range.

Another example: retro. The documentation says "iterates a bidirectional
name backwards". Hm, where does "retro" appear in that text? If I want
to iterate it backwards, or to reverse the order, the first thing I
would write is reverse(range) or backwards(range), "retro" would never
come to my mind.

(and no, replies like "you can always alias xxx" are not accepted :-P)

Hi,

I agree iota is a bad name.
FWIW, what comes to my mind when I read it is an idea of tininess, such as in
the expression : "It didn't change an iota". I certainly miss the mathematical
reference.

What math sense. Maybe iota used for other meanings in english speaking math (would be surprised). I only know 2 uses: an alternative for imaginary 'i' or 'j', and the module of length 1 along X-axis. The latter obviously has some connexion with the notion of range, but it conflicts in fact, in that iota means a /single/ unit step, and range firstly denotes a series of values, not of steps/offsets between them.

Denis
--
vita es estrany