No, not even close. The first step is figure out where your program is slow, and then why it is slow. For example, if it is slow because foo() is being called 1,000,000 times, you'll get a one thousand times speedup if you can tweak your algorithms so that it is only called 1,000 times.

I think we are talking about two different things, i don't mean locating the cause of the bottleneck, it is of course the most logical thing to do. Assume we know the problem, a function that has been reduced to simplest case, still compiler for some reason didn't do the inlining and we need every bit. Wrappers and frequent matrix, vector operations are a very serious examples that inlining is must. Now, it doesn't matter how easy or hard, have could we get around this?
This is a great for an annotation.