On 09/02/2011 23:02, Ulrik Mikaelsson wrote:
2011/2/9 Bruno Medeiros<brunodomedeiros+spam@com.gmail>:

It's unlikely you will see converted repositories with a lot of changing
blob data. DVCS, at the least in the way they work currently, simply kill
this workflow/organization-pattern.
I very much suspect this issue will become more important as time goes on -
a lot of people are still new to DVCS and they still don't realize the full
implications of that architecture with regards to repo size. Any file you
commit will add to the repository size *FOREVER*. I'm pretty sure we haven't
heard the last word on the VCS battle, in that in a few years time people
are *again* talking about and switching to another VCS :( . Mark these
words. (The only way this is not going to happen is if Git or Mercurial are
able to address this issue in a satisfactory way, which I'm not sure is
possible or easy)

You don't happen to know about any projects of this kind in any other
VCS that can be practically tested, do you?

You mean a project like that, hosted in Subversion or CVS (so that you can convert it to Git/Mercurial and see how it is in terms of repo size)? I don't know any of the top of my head, except the one in my job, but naturally it is commercial and closed-source so I can't share it. I'm cloning the Mozilla Firefox repo right now, I'm curious how big it is. ( https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozilla_Source_Code_%28Mercurial%29)

But other than that, what exactly do you want to test? There is no specific thing to test, if you add a binary file (from a format that is already compressed, like zip, jar, jpg, etc.) of size X, you will increase the repo size by X bytes forever. There is no other way around it. (Unless on Git you rewrite the history on the repo, which doubtfully will ever be allowed on central repositories)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer