"spir" <denis.s...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1504.1297453559.4748.digitalmar...@puremagic.com...
> Hello,
>
> Just had a strange bug --in a test func!-- caused by this notation. This
> is due in my case to the practice (common, I guess) of "pretty printing"
> int numbers using %0nd or %0ns format, to get a nice alignment. Then, if
> one feeds back results into D code, they are interpreted as octal...
> Now, i know it: will pad with spaces instead ;-)
>
> Copying a string'ed integer is indeed not the only this notation is
> bug-prone: prefixing a number with '0' should not change its value (!).
> Several programming languages switched to another notation; like 0onnn,
> which is consistent with common hex & bin notations and cannot lead to
> misinterpretation. Such a change would be, I guess, backward compatible;
> and would not be misleading for C coders.

Yea, octal!"nnn" has already made the exceedingly rare uses of octal
literals completely obsolete *long* ago. I know I for one am getting really
tired of this completely unnecessary landmine in the language continuing to
exist. The heck with std.xml, if anything, *this* needs nuked. If silently
changed behavior is a problem, then just make it an error. Done. Minefield
cleared.