spir wrote:
And this itself was made possible by the fact software /re/production costs are neglectable compared to production ones (human competence, time & motivation). The same applies indeed, even more since the numeric revolution, to most of human knowledge and creation. Result of music composition has always been (potentially or concretely, depending to laws) freely available good.

I agree. Consider the explosion of knowledge and progress immediately after the printing press was invented. Printers were eager for materials to print, and compiled manuals on everything they could think of.

It's interesting how the Egyptian revolution is attributed to being enabled by the internet; similarly, I don't think the American revolution would have happened without the printing press.