On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:13:33 -0500, Lars T. Kyllingstad <public@kyllingen.nospamnet> wrote:

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:02:44 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 04:16:36 -0500, Jonathan M Davis
<jmdavisp...@gmx.com> wrote:

I can understand if the path stuff
can't deal with / or \ in file names (that's probably not worth trying
to get to
work right), but it _should_ be able to handle directories with dots in
them and
files with no extension.

/ and \ are not legal in names on any filesystem that I know of.

-Steve

On a *NIX machine, try

  touch "c:\\foo\\bar"

You may be surprised. ;)

bleh... that seems useless :) I purposely checked FAT before posting, because I was sure Unix disallowed backslashes, I wanted to make sure FAT didn't allow slashes.

Holy crap, something that DOS got right and Unix didn't!

From this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename, it appears that really, the only disallowed character in unix filenames is '/'. Even '*' is allowed as a filename. How... horrible.

-Steve