Am 05.03.2011 04:48, schrieb uri:
This should likely go to d.learn or someplace else. As a simple exercise I
tried to build a tool that fetches a list of random news articles written by a
single person and determine his or hers time zone based on the frequencies.

I first thought the period of sleep would determine the daily rhythm, but that
doesn't seem to be the case. In http://piczasso.com/i/amj97.png I used
bearophile's data points and the sleep period gave GMT-4 .. GMT-3, dinner time
GMT+0 .. GMT+2, GMT+1 having the highest probability, which is the correct
answer. I wish U sleep all well and don't work too hard 24/7, the AI is
watching U.

Of course you could just find out someones timezone by parsing the first line of his replies (or the line before the quite).. Like mine says "Am 05.03.2011 04:48, schrieb uri:" so you know that your post was posted at 04:48 at my local time - with the knowledge when the quoted post was posted in UTC (or your timezone or whatever) you can easily find out the timezone of the poster (or at least the timezone he uses on his computer).

Of course you can compare the real timezone with you calculated timezone to find out how screwed up the sleeping patterns of people are ;)

Cheers,
- Daniel