On 2011-03-15 10:30, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
On 15/03/11 01.33, nedbrek wrote:
Hello all,

"Jesse Phillips"<jessekphillip...@gmail.com> wrote in message
libcurl, SQLite, libpng, libbzip2, and the WindowsAPI stuff all sound
like
Excellent items to include for standard distribution. It is really
nice to
just
have these items available like zlib and zip.

Personally I think Lua would make a nice standard extension language,
but
the
license is MIT.

So if the Phobos devs are willing, lets git some of these in.

I have started D bindings for Tcl, I volunteer to support them.
https://github.com/nedbrek/tcld

Tcl uses a BSD-like license (which might keep it out the standard D
library...)

Ned

Regarding the licensing issues... maybe an officially "blessed" library
(libphobos-ext) could be made for all the things that does not go well
with the boost license then? A bit messy but it would open up access to
a great number of libs with a default dmd + phobos + phobos-ext
installation.

I guess BSD/MIT/lgpl etc. licenses are permissive enough for almost
every case anyway.

/Jonas

You can always just include bindings to the library. Then the user needs to have the library on the system if the users decides to use the bindings.

--
/Jacob Carlborg