A lot of work is going on around D. However I can't really fit the pieces
together to see how everything works.

Bad quality
--------------

One problem is the large amount of obsolete data (
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmdfe )

Dsource is The place for D projects. The problem with dsource is if you're a
serious professional and need professional quality libraries and tools, dsource
does nothing in the way of supporting these types of users. The sections are
filled with small hobby projects such as
http://www.dsource.org/projects/libcalc. What I'm looking for is somehing that
emphasizes the names of "important" projects. For example standard
parallel/concurrency/server/socket/vfs libraries are a first class priority. It
takes a day to browse through the list of mediocre crap.

Status reports
------------------

http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/roadmap is empty.
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/future.html is totally uninformative. This is
a really terrible joke. Where is the list of incompatibilities between TDPL and
DMD/LDC/GDC? Why don't libraries come with [alpha], [beta], [stable] tags. It's
hard to choose between 5 different implementations if you need to ask
personally from the authors via IRC. Take a look at:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.7_Feature_Plan
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Extragear

Where is the status reports of feature proposals? I know bugzilla contains a
lot of data, but it gives no interface to quickly analyze the latest feature
changes. Newsgroup threads often discuss useless things (CRT displays and
whether black-on-white is better than white-on-black in a feature proposal
threads). Nick Sabalausky and Walter Bright are worst trolls in this regard,
hijacking every thread to spread off-topic talk.

I've tried to advertise D to colleagues. What they're interested in is a)
library and tool support b) quality of apidocs c) progress reports (milestones,
release history, other plans) d) mailist list quality. Currently my answers
have been a) it's getting better, don't know when b) it's getting better, don't
know when and how c) don't know d) digitalmars.d is full of trolls and
off-topic stuff, the closed mailing lists are better, but don't have much
traffic. Typical conclusion is, D is too immature.