On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:02:05 -0400, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisp...@gmx.com> wrote:

Given that the other posts list XP with having 23:00 on the day before rather
than at 00:00 for the dates in the middle, it looks like XP has the same
behavior as XP. However, it looks like whatever time zone you have your
computer in (if it's really the same as New York, it would Eastern Daylight Time at the moment) is not actually EST/EDT proper (either that or the two other posts with XP are on SP3 while you're on SP2 and changes were made in SP3 which affect the Windows functions being called). Glancing at the list of Windows time zones though, I don't see any cities which would currently would be in normal Eastern time but would have been in a slightly different time zone (e.g. no DST) prior to 2007. I _thought_ that some of Indiana was that
way, but if so, they didn't get a special time zone for it in Windows.

IIRC, there was a large problem when the time zone changes were enacted for XP. I remember originally Microsoft was NOT going to update XP unless you wanted to pay them some ridiculous amount (something like $10k) for a patch. However, there were numerous tools that could be used to edit the time zone information.

So they eventually did update XP (must be they got raided by the common sense police). I would highly suspect that Nick's system isn't updated since it's at SP2 (I'm pretty sure the original SP2 was pre- the timezone changes) and Microsoft typically stops releasing patches for an older service pack when a new one comes out.

Nick, you really should update to SP3, there literally is no down side, except the time it takes to update, and then apply the subsequent patches that have been released since SP3.

-Steve