On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:11:01 +0900, David Nadlinger <s...@klickverbot.at> wrote:

On 3/26/11 12:44 AM, Masahiro Nakagawa wrote:
Currently, many databases exist.

* SQL based: MySQL, PostgresSQL, SQLite, etc..
* KVS: Cassandra, HBase, Kumofs, Redis, etc...
* Document Oriented: MongoDB, CouchDB, etc...

I think next Database API should support these types.

I don't think this is the way to go, as there is a huge conceptional difference between relational database systems and »NoSQL« systems such as, say, CouchDB or Cassandra.

It's an open question.

Ruby / Rails has Arel (note that Arel is data access abstraction,
not database access abstraction. But Database access is a part of data access).
Haskell has Database.Persistent.
I think other languages will support similar library in the future.

How would such a unified API look like?

I don't have a detail.
I already implemented it if I had a detailed design.
In my D tasks, database related task is low priority...