dsimcha Wrote:

> On 3/28/2011 9:54 PM, jasonw wrote:
> > Listen kid, you're some biology student, right? You're just coding for fun.
> > And more importantly, you haven't participated in any long term real world
> > systems programming projects. This kind of work experience doesn't give you
> > the competence to evaluate the knowledge and work of people with tens of
> > years of programming experience under their belt.
> >
> > You might be terribly smart, but you're missing the point. Can you see what
> > we are building here? A whole language ecosystem. Andrei has done great
> > work by attracting competent CS persons in to the community.
>
> While I think some good points were raised here, I find the implication
> that biologists and generally non-CS people can't do first rate
> programming mildly offensive.  Formal education in CS helps especially
> when doing CS research, but it's not a requirement for being a "real"
> programmer.  I'm a biomedical engineering student and primarily write
> research and hobby code, not industrial code.  Walter's degree is in
> mechanical engineering and he's one of the best programmers I can think
> of.  Heck, even Andrei didn't have a formal degree in CS until recently.
>   (His undergrad, IIRC, is in electrical engineering.)

Didn't want to give that kind of impression. I think "computer engineering"
graduates often have a much better view of the software industry than pure
computer science graduates. Non-CS people can also be great developers, no
doubt.

I wanted to point out that bearophile tries to act like a main architect of the
D language. I'm overall impressed how well he handles the theoretical side, but
the price is that the ideas are always presented like from an ivory tower.
Concrete compiler / library patches and better relevance to real "simple"
everyday problems would help a lot more. I'll mention one concrete example:
typestates. While I think this idea is interesting, I really can't trust
bearophile if I want to know if it's a good feature to have and testing it
would require studying some small unpopular language (Rust). I don't think the
main branch of D is a suitable target for experimenting with this kind of
features. If he wants to use them, he could fork D and come back with concrete
results.

> That said, I think bearophile's posts are well-intentioned.  The problem
> is that the signal-to-noise is terrible.  What D needs now is bug fixing
> of what's already there and solid implementations of basic stuff like
> database APIs, better garbage collection, IDEs, etc.  Bringing up the
> latest cool idea is fine if you've also got an implementation or it's
> exceptionally well thought out and solves a severe, pressing problem.
> The constant bombardment with ideas to solve minor or niche problems,
> with no implementation and no intention of creating an implementation,
> is more distracting than useful.

I fully agree with this, but just wanted to bring this up because in my opinion
he is wasting a lot of time trying to emphasize things which have been noted,
but are on the bottom of the current priority list. I don't want to discourage
him from posting, but he should also consider the reactions of the audience a
bit.