On 12/04/2011 21:08, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
""Jérôme M. Berger""<jeber...@free.fr>  wrote in message
spir wrote:

A drawback is one cannot directly have different indent levels, for
instance to indent collection contents more, or less, than blocks of
code. This can also be considered an advantage; and is simply solved by
using... spaces ;-)

void f () {
  ->  while (true) {
  ->   ->  table = [
  ->   ->  .."aaa" : 1,
  ->   ->  .."bbb" : 2,
  ->   ->  .."ccc" : 3,
  ->   ->  ];
  ->   ->  auto a = this(table);
  ->   ->  if (! a) break;
  ->  }
}

(yes, the example is stupid)

Unfortunately, most editors are completely unable to handle this
example properly: sure they will *display* it fine, but they will
not allow you to *enter* it right (especially if you need more
spaces for alignment than the tab size).

Why would editors not allow you to enter that right? I don't see what the problem would be, unless you configured your editor to replaces N spaces into a tab for indentation.

That's unfortunately true. I used to try to do that in cases like this:

if(blah)
{
->   foo(.bigLongArg1,
->   .....bigLongArg2,
->   .....bigLongArg3
->   );
}

But editors just choke on that like crazy. It's a pain to type it in that
way, and then when you go back to edit (add another arg on another line, for
instance), it just screws it all up again, likely without me even noticing
right away. (And I even have most auto-formatting turned off.) I decided it
was far more trouble than it was worth.

Works fine in Eclipse, again because when it auto-indents on Enter, it uses the indentation of the previous line. :)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer