On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:45:17 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

On 4/13/2011 7:13 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
I've just come across Csmith:

http://embed.cs.utah.edu/csmith/

The tool randomly generates valid C99 code to stress test C compilers and has found 350+ bugs in GCC/LLVM alone over the past couple of years. It might be interesting to run dmc through this, and maybe adapt the tool to generate D test
cases?

I talked to one of the others, he didn't think it would be that hard to adapt it to D, but we'd have to do it ourselves.

I think this could be fairly valuable for D compilers.

Anyone looking for a project?

As much as this might be a fun project, and might find bugs for D, I have to point out that there are *plenty* of bugs in dmd that need fixing. Any would be takers for this project should also consider lending a hand at fixing existing bugs. Then again, fixing dmd bugs might be less fun, so I could understand if someone preferred not to.

I think this tool would be great once dmd is fully functional.

-Steve