On 16-apr-11, at 09:41, Walter Bright wrote:

On 4/15/11 10:22 PM, dsimcha wrote:
I'm trying to debug an extremely strange bug whose symptoms appear in a std.parallelism example, though I'm not at all sure the root cause is in
std.parallelism. The bug report is at
https://github.com/dsimcha/std.parallelism/issues/ 1#issuecomment-1011717 .

Does the scheduling affect the summation order?

That's a good thought. FP addition results can differ dramatically depending on associativity.

yes, one can avoid this by using a tree algorithm with a fixed blocksize, then the results will be the same bothe in single and parallel case.
Normally one uses atomic sumation though.
In blip I spent quite a bit of thought on tree like algorithms and their parallelization exactly because the parallelize well and are independent form the paralleization

Fawzi