On 2011-04-21 03:37, Eric Poggel (JoeCoder) wrote:
On 4/20/2011 7:07 PM, Andrew Wiley wrote:
I'm working on a project that looks like it'll need manual memory
management (the end goal is to get it running on ARM using GDC, where
the GC doesn't seem to behave (that goal might be unrealistic, but I can
hope))

I wonder if it would be useful to have a "static" phobos project, a
subset/replacement of standard library functions that can behave without
a garbage collector.

Are there enough situations D is a good fit but garbage collection is not?

I would guess, as he mentioned, ARM i.e. mobile devices. Of course you could use a garbage collector on a mobile device but, for example, iOS doesn't use one, even though Mac OS X has a built in garbage collector.

--
/Jacob Carlborg