On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:32:06 -0400, Alvaro <alvaro.seg...@gmail.com> wrote:

El 22/04/2011 19:36, Walter Bright escribió:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-08/msg00552.html

I've always been surprised when discussions usually just bring garbage collection as the only alternative to explicit manual memory management. I imagined it as a garbage truck that has its own schedule and may let a lot of trash pile up before passing by. I always naively thought, why not just free immediately when an object gets no references?

Because you then have to update potentially two reference counts every time you assign a pointer. GC's save you from doing that.

I know way way less than Torvalds, but my naive brain says GC's still win because often times, slightly noticeable drops in performance are worth having code that doesn't corrupt memory. This may not be true for kernel development, but then again, we aren't all developing kernels ;)

-Steve