On 2011-05-07 07:24, Brad Roberts wrote:
On 5/6/2011 9:58 PM, dsimcha wrote:
Purely out of curiosity (as in I personally have no pressing need for it), what
are the main roadblocks to DMD
supporting 64-bit on Mac OS and FreeBSD?  I understand that on Windows we'd
need a new linker, etc, but IIUC FreeBSD and
Mac OS use GCC like Linux does.

For freebsd, almost nothing since it's all elf and uses the gnu tool chain
largely as is.  I've already done a first
pass test of it and the results were extremely promising.  Maybe the next
release can have it.

For OSX, it's more work since it's not elf based and they diverge fairly far
from a pure gnu tool chain.  At a minimum,
the ability to write out macho 64 bit .o files.  Probably more, but hopefully
not a lot more.  It'll be a lot easier to
assess after that part is done I suspect.

Later,
Brad

Mac OS X has the advantage of universal binaries, almost every library and application (at least the system libraries) are available both for 32 and 64bit in the same binary and you usually don't have to think about 32 vs 64bit libraries.

--
/Jacob Carlborg