On 5/9/11 12:14 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2011-05-09 17:49, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 5/9/11 10:37 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
Isn't the name of the log file a little too verbose? Don't know if I'm
missing something but this doesn't seem so useful for long running
application that use logging. As far as I know you usually have one log
file per application and outputs the message along with the level and
date and time.

I did what glog does. Going forward, there is a private static string
for formatting file names using positional parameters. In the future I'm
considering providing an API for changing that format string, which
means the log file format will be user-definable. (Same about the format
of individual messages - see the string constants fileNameFormat and
format toward the top of log.d.) Positional parameters look a bit odd
but they are quite flexible.

Andrei

I don't think the positional parameters are odd (C# has them with
another syntax and Tango uses the same syntax as C#), I think they're
very usable. Although the syntax you've chosen looks a little odd to me.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the $ in front of the number instead
of behind, since the % is in front.

I used the Posix positional format syntax, see http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/printf.html.