On 05/15/2011 02:35 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
(That's also why we should think of a shorter name instead of
parallel_algorithm... and with this parenthesis I instantly commanded
the
attention of the entire community.)

Leave it as std.parallel_algorithm:

1. people instantly know what it is

2. google will index it as "parallel algorithm", exactly what we want.
URL names carry a lot of weight with google page rank

Calling it "palgorithm" will get us nowhere in terms of visibility.

Sounds like a good argument.

Andrei

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree. While palgorithm saves on typing and avoids the hideous underscore, parallel_algorithm is far easier to find.

Argument #2 I don't find as attractive, but it could be a nice way to increase D's usage (not that many people are looking for it - http://www.google.com/trends?q=parallel+algorithm although that's probably not indicative, considering it contains the majority, who aren't programmers).

Besides which, it's not like you'll be typing it all the time, if you're doing things that are likely to need parallel computation then that one line of import isn't going to make much difference to the amount of typing you have to do.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/