On Wed, 18 May 2011 16:37:49 -0400, Jesse Phillips <jessekphillip...@gmail.com> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:

Having seen quite a few incorrect descriptions of how D slices work
(particularly regarding appending), I wrote an article that tries to
describe how D slices work, and why they behave the way they do.

Still reading, but the example should use assertions which pass:

void main()
{
   int[] arr = new int[5];
   shrinkTo2(arr);
   assert(arr.length != 2); // Not expected!
}

It is good form because reading it will describe the outcome even without comment.

I always wonder about that. One of the issues with assert for people "feeling" out the language is, a passing assert doesn't seem to do anything.

For instance, in this example, if you take the code I wrote, and compile it, you'll get a loud assertion error (proving the assertion runs and fails).

If you take your code and run it, you get a command prompt. It doesn't really help you see how it works.

I'm contemplating switching it to a writeln instead ;)

-Steve