Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2011 00:47:46 +0300, Don <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

Yeah, I would have thought so. I wouldn't expect to find the root cause first described as bug #21, yes TWENTY ONE in the msysgit database.

Sorry, but did you read the bug report and the whole comment you linked to? It's completely unrelated, core.auto-crlf is related to the conversion of files in the working directory - this setting will not affect the way the index is accessed. You're not making much of sense,
and I'm the "fanboy" here...

I don't know exactly what causes it. It may have something to do with the fact that I have a symlink in my path. Here's the result of a quick google:
----
http://www.nishioka.com/blog/2008/01/source-control-with-git-and-cygwin.html

"If you use git on cygwin, you must be sure your disks are mounted binmode or your database will get corrupted!

I had all my disks but one mounted binmode, but I also had a symbolic link that ended up using that one textmode mount. This corrupted the index and I got:

error: bad index file sha1 signature
fatal: index file corrupt"

Still not fixed in cygwin in 2011.

How did you end up with a text mount? Did you create it yourself?

I don't even know what a text mount is.  (That's a quote from the page).
But my symptoms seem exactly the same as that.

My experience is:
* download, standard install.
* As far as I know there is nothing unusual to my Windows setup.
* Running 'git status' corrupts the database.
* Googling for the error message I find other people have encountered this before.
* I find many other bugs within a couple of hours of use.
Conclude this is an _extremely_ immature product.

I'm amazed anyone disagrees with that.